Sunday, January 4, 2009

Quick Update

So, I passed my language proficiency exam at the Intermediate-Mid level (we needed an Intermediate-Low). Basically, what an Intermediate-Mid level proficiency means is that I can badly translate various forms of signage and say things like, "I from United States. I like soccer. I like books. I like ice-cream too much." www.engrish.com might give you some more ideas of my Sesotho level.

Everybody passed the exam, so we were in a relieved and festive mood yesterday, which led me to finally buy a phone. It has an LED flashlight on top. Neat. Apparently international texting isn't too bad, but word on the street is that calling cards are the way to go. The number is on the side bar under 'Contact Info.' I may have an additional/different number at site because we get South African cell service better than Lesothon service. I'll keep you updated.

Not too much is going on here. The rest of the week is pretty open. We have swearing in, a supervisor workshop and an all-volunteer conference. Other than that we have free time to pick up supplies for our sites and just get prepared to be not living near such a large group of Americans. Everybody is in book-hording and electronics-charging mode, and I think most people are pretty anxious to get out to site and just get started.

I've updated the GPS coordinates for Ha Sefako. It should be within 20 ft or so of my bedroom window. Checking it out in Google Earth should give you a good idea of the size of the mountains around me and such.

Okay, not much else for now. I'll try to post a couple more times before I head to site and figure out what the best address is to send letters. Packages should still be sent to the Maseru P.O. Box.

5 comments:

Allison said...

I'm a Google Earth newbie, but here are the coordinates we found for that house...since I tried plugging in your digits and couldn't come up with it:

28°35'13.38"S
28°37'26.24"E

Maybe that will help other Google Earth newbs out there? :-)

Sala hamonate!!

Amanda said...

hey yo! did you get mom's package? she wants to know :)

Unknown said...

Hey Phil!

I just caught up on all of the blogs - keep them coming!

Glad to see things are going relatively well (aside from the sickness, oil disaster, and luggage theft, which have probably been forgotten, but i just opened old emotional wounds, sorry).

Congrats on the language exam hopefully you will overcome the ice cream addiction.

good luck

Kristin said...

I miss your guts. Reealllllyyyyyyy a lot a lot. That's all I wanted to say. So excited to try to call! So excited that your adventure in teaching is about to begin- don't forget the biscuit lesson!

Candice said...

That's such a great connection to engrish.com--what an evocative premise. Your ability to tell people anything in a way that makes them doubt your sanity is a step toward real celebrity. Who knows, you could become the rich, handsome, tall, that-guy-who-told-me-my-foot-is-beautiful-like-a-purple-goat American.

However, it could cut down on those pesky marriage proposals.

Always with the upside,
cyk