Monday, January 12, 2009

Site Update

So we got to site yesterday, and headed for South Africa (Qwa Qwa, the city of) today. We were told it was close, and it is only maybe 25 clicks as the crow flies. In actuality it was a 2.5 hour hike, a 45 minute wait for the taxi and a half hour ride into town. There is a strip mall here, but everything is too expensive to seriously consider. But, we had KFC and it was like cocaine (I assume). We have approximately 3 hours to get everything done we need to get done then must try to find the single taxi that runs between the border and town before the border closes at 4 pm. I might be writing again soon if things don't work out.

Ha Sefako is still beautiful and I feel pretty well settled in. The closes access to internet will be a minimum of 2.5 hours away. The only cell phone reception is actually via a South African tower, but you have to climb a tree and perform some yogic pose that properly amplifies the cell phone reception. Text messages will be the best way to communicate. I'm not sure if the South African rates will be cheaper or not. I will post the new number in my contact info along with the mail address for mail (not packages). I hope all is well and promise the next post will be more informative.

Cheers.

4 comments:

rhyoungren said...

does your phone have a camera? i want one of the yogic poses, please. so going to town is a chore. sounds like a pioneer attitude is needed. when you mom and i were in illinois, we talked to MJB about her experiences in a one room, 1-8 grade, school house. interesting. she talked about apologizing to a student after bazillions of years as to the amount she paid for coal to be brought in nightly. the young man said don't worry, i never told my dad about the money as he'd have made me give it back. MJB had a book of all the classes she taught for 35 years, her pay, the dates of the year, and some of what happened to those students. 35 years of data in one small notebook. start yours now.
love
el V

Unknown said...

Are you keeping a journal? If so I should be the first one that gets to read it!

Unknown said...

Phillip,
Just discovered that I could post on this thing. Very cool..you know that I am somewhat challenged when in comes to technology. It is amazing to read of your adventures and your writing sounds just like you and your sense of humor..made me miss ya a little bit. There is a good chance that I will be in the middle east and Egypt next year, so I will keep you informed - it would be amazing to see you (that may be unrealistic, but I can always try.) Is your phone a # that we can call? Do you get texts or pics? I am glad to hear that you are settling into your new surroundings. I thought of you the other night as Care and I shared some margarita's and dumpy mexican restaurant...shoot me an email if you get a chance. Let me know if you need me to send you something brother. take care of yourself.
many prayers and thoughts,
Matt

Kristin said...

I attempted to send you a text message, did it come through? I continue to pray for your adventure over there! I hope to hear an update soon. We miss you over here! So much to tell from this continent ;)