Thursday, November 5, 2009

1 Year Down

In a week the new Education group will arrive to go through various stages of being overwhelmed, frightened, anxious, homesick, awestruck, under whelmed, bored, frustrated, hung-over and proud. So, I guess it’s time that I write one of those sappy “1 Year Down, 1 to Go” pieces. After all, it has been over a year since I left L.A. for the 22 hour drive to Ellensburg, WA with my beloved Marantz receiver next to me and my more beloved, but too-big-to-sit-next-to-me (is this a proper use of hyphens?) bikes in the back. A year since I last:

- saw the Pacific, after seeing it nearly daily for 6 years
- drank Deschutes Black Butte Porter
- drove a car
- ate real pepperoni pizza
- hugged my family
- had Thai food cooked by a Mexican
- had a lunchtime conversation where modal analysis, sailing and WoW were all topics of discussion within 5 minutes
- requested somebody to google something on an iPhone to settle a dispute
- played bocce ball

Reading that list makes me realize that my time in Lesotho hasn’t been defined by the things I’ve gone without. At least, I hope not. That would be a tragic waste of a year. My time can be much better defined by what I’ve learned since I’ve been here.

1. Peace Corps is neither a development organization nor is it an aid organization. So, anybody reading this, I want to be very clear, Peace Corps is a goodwill organization. You are expected to come here and mentor a few people and make friends with a few more. You are expected to learn about yourself and learn about your host country and share that back at home. But don’t expect to join the Peace Corps and effect substantial and perceivable change. Don’t misunderstand me. I’ve met a lot of people in Lesotho who have said that PCVs have affected their lives in a substantial way, and I have no doubt that those PCVs have no idea. So, if you are the type of person who needs to see change happening, like I do, then Peace Corps may not be right for you. Be honest and open about your personality before you get on the plane.

2. Development is not unlike modern warfare. You are attempting to build infrastructure and capacity of the locals while enabling the local population to redefine themselves within the context of a globalizing world. It sounds a lot like Iraq and Afghanistan. And, like those places, if you don’t employ the local villagers in public works then they will a) vandalize or otherwise sabotage the project during construction b) not use the works and/or c) not maintain the works once completed. So it takes millions and millions, or billions and billions, of dollars in investment to try to build an infrastructure in countries where the local population can barely produce enough people with the appropriate technical skills to sustain the infrastructure. However, unlike war, nobody is going to argue that clean water and good sanitation are immoral. But it goes to show that destruction is much easier than creation.

3. There are many evil things that are unjustly forgiven, or taboo, because they are put under the title of Culture. My short list includes 1) multiple concurrent partners 2) beating children 3) negligent teachers 4) politics as a business. Each one destroys one’s ability to become a strong, whole and contributing human being and citizen.

4. The reality of HIV/AIDs is far more horrific than any number, statistic or anecdote can communicate.

5. It is impossible to teach somebody who is unmotivated to learn. And this is the crux of development. Socioeconomic differences can be terrible because they motivate people to lie, cheat and steal to get ahead. But if people don’t think it’s possible, and is thus umotivated, to get ahead, they won’t go anywhere.

6. There are people who will shame you with their unrelenting drive to better their lives, be creative, strive for healthy, productive lives of their family and enjoy the company of others. Utter determination can overcome big parts of a shitty lot in life. A little support, interest, and encouragement can help overcome the rest of it.

7. A school kid with books is a much better indication of development than a Minister in a new Mercedes-Benz.

8. I am an unflinchingly critical and demanding person.

9. The support of family and friends is not something to be taken for granted. I’ve doubted a lot of things since I’ve been here. Why did I come? Am I making any difference at all? Is it possible to make this place better? Do I want to stay? These are all questions I’ve asked, but I never, ever, wondered if people at home cared. There is a remarkable sense of security I feel because regardless of how demoralized I sound on the phone, in an email, or on my blog, my family and friends are always there to lend an ear.

10. 2/3 + 1/2 = 3/5 (there’s undoubtedly a metaphor there, somewhere, for something)

So that’s my One Year List. I think it fairly accurately expresses my feelings at the one year mark. It hasn’t been easy, and I miss you all dearly. Cheers.

6 comments:

Teresa said...

I love you and miss you Bud!
.......................Mom

Teresa said...

BTW...my past couple calls wouldn't go through. :-(

Kristin said...

I am beyond proud of you, for what it's worth. I am sure for all of us over here, watching you go through everything this year, has been really encouraging and powerful. Yet, difficult and truly feeling the weight of the distance when you struggled. "it is the first time I can't say I'm on my way, and drive over." Kind of feeling. Year two will bring more! Miss you (and the Pacific) more than words can say. p.s. I had black butte porter this summer. A lot of it ;) Love you!

Unknown said...

Hahaha, I like #10. Oh the joys of teaching. I think that's true in most places in the US too . . .

Unknown said...

Hi Phil, surely enjoyed reading about your feelings about your year. How great to have your Mom and sister coming. Talked to your Grandpa this evening and he said you had called ------- he really liked that. I leave in a week for Egypt. Had a scare ----- lost my hearing aides and searched every where for them ------ found them 2 days later in the Vicks container!! Same size and shape as my hearing aid container ---- guess I was really sleepy when I put them to "bed".

Unknown said...

Keep at it bud, can't wait to hear about all your adventures!