Thursday, October 1, 2009

Job Change

A few of you have heard by now, but I'm going to be moving to Maseru to do some engineering work. Teaching was not good for me. Luckily as I was asking the Peace Corps for something different, the Millennium Challenge Corporation in Lesotho was looking an engineer to help with their Water Infrastructure Development program. So, next week sometime I'll be moving to Maseru to begin doing some engineering and project management work on a tight-scheduled, six year, $162 million project that will provide better urban water supply and rural sanitation and water supply to Basotho and their textile industries.

The move to Maseru will not only be great because I'll be able to learn a lot and use my schooling, but I'll also have the resources to do some work on secondary projects that weren't possible in Ha Sefako. I have a permanent magnet, DC motor that I'm hoping to turn into a wind turbine, I did some surveying for a Masotho man who is trying to pump water over a hill to irrigate his tree nursery and fill the fish pond he made, and I need to design a small footbridge that I got a small grant for a few weeks ago.

Also, I'll have consistent phone and internet, which means you all will get to keep track of me and I'll get to keep track of you. I am beyond excited to say the least. Students were not too happy with me last week when I told them I'd be leaving, but I'll be back up to Ha Sefako to help out with the various projects I'm involved in and hopefully we'll be able to get some of the motivated students into Maseru to get them familiar with their capital and vocational and educational opportunities available to them.

Um, that's all for now. Pleas give me a call if you can. I have a 3G modem now, so I can skype and such (read, free).

7 comments:

Maggie said...

soy excited. love you lots! talk to you in 7 hours :)

Cristina said...

Happy to hear you have a new and exciting assignment! Hope it goes well :)

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you Phil. It already seems like a better fit! I'm mostly excited to communicate with you more regularly. Our trip was amazing. I hope you got the postcard.

farquette said...

it sounds like things will be good for you. at your dad's bd party your sisters said that teaching didn't really fit you very well. it was good that this other oppurtunity came up at the time that it did. i am sure that the corp will be very happy to have you. keep up the good work and enjoy everything that you do.

Liz said...

HEY. I'm excited for your new adventure. The new challenge & more regular contact with people should be a happy thing. Let me know when you get my letter--it's a good one!

Amanda said...

Lego Technix/Mind Storms...okay. i was like that'd be fun to get phil some legos. OH MY GOSH! they're soooo cool!!! and like 3 of my car payments! that's all!

Unknown said...

Phil ---- I made a comment but for some reason it didn't show up. So I will try again. Hiked up the Manashtash Ridge with your Mom yesterday ----- what a hike. When we got to the top I called your Grandpa Herb and your Mom tried to call you but you didn't answer. There were about 600 hikers altogether . Love, Aunt Ruth