Saturday, June 13, 2009

Last Week of School



Tuesday June 9th

The weather here is schizophrenic. Sunday I started work on my keyhole garden (see picture above), and it was a little chilly but comfortable enough to work in a T-shirt. Come Monday 2 cm of rain had fallen and was still falling, the surrounding mountains were snowcapped and the wind was blustering. NOT COOL. That is just deceptive and rude.

More difficult than dealing with the cold was that it totally incapacitated my ability to spend the day outside. We are in the last days of finals, i.e. I have to go proctor my last final, and their last final, in 45 minutes, and yesterday I had nothing to do. I finished Freakonomics, an excellent short read that my mom sent me, studied biology, chemistry, calculus, electronic circuits and drew up some plans for an animal powered battery charging station. I still had lots of time to burn, so I ate most of a loaf of banana bread, a few pints of potato soup and ploughed through a Car and Driver.

This is not good if most of winter break is going to consist of miserable weather. I just don’t have the stamina to study all day without any hands on tinkering to use up some of my energy. Let’s all hope that this storm blows through and behind it is some nice 60 degree weather so that I can finish my keyhole garden, and go for hikes, and take pictures.

Wednesday June 10th

The weather has cooperated a bit and slightly relented. It probably got up into the low 40s today, which was nice. Also, the wind died down, which was arguably the worst part of the storm.

Now I’m just waiting for the water to boil for my twice, or thrice, weekly (depending on coldness) winter bath. It is surprising how quickly you just stop worrying about taking baths and changing clothes when it is cold. Actually, it may be a good indicator of general loss of brain function due to the sustained lowering of core body temperature.

Regardless, things are going well here. Like I said, I began my keyhole garden this weekend and was working on it today when my principal stopped by. He was excited to see that I’d started. We have talked about building a keyhole garden for an orphan in each of the 7 villages that are tributaries for students at the school, and when he saw that I had started mine he wanted to actually get started with theirs as well. He asked me to slow down my construction so that we could get maybe 10 students together to help me build it and in so doing learn how to build one of their own. So, when I get back from Confederation Cup (Spain vs. Iraq in Bloemfontein on the 17th) we’re going to get some students together and start work. Many of them literally don’t have anything to do during break, so taking a week or two of their 7 week break to slowly build a keyhole garden isn’t much of a sacrifice. A couple could actually get built. I’ll take pictures.

We also had our first Library Committee meeting yesterday and it went about as expected. Two student committee members were elected and a staff committee member was chosen. Then I asked them to give me feedback on how they wanted the library to operate and what kinds of books they want for it. General silence ensued, slowly followed by me and another teacher prodding them for answers. There is a culture of silence upon any group asked to answer a question in this country, be it a teacher asking students, or the principal asking teachers. The questionees do not respond. A clearly frustrating trait when you’re trying to lead a creative discussion about “What you want YOUR library to look like.” There is a good chance that the students have never had a brainstorming session, so I’ve got to go easy on them. They’ve also never spent legitimate time in a library, so they don’t have any ideas to synthesize. So it goes…

But perhaps the most positive experience I’ve had so far happened on Tuesday. After I proctored my last exam, I was at home trying to absorb heat and mark exams when I got a knock at my door. It was one of my favorite and most self-motivated students. It took a few tries, but he eventually reminded me that I had promised to teach him English. As some background, I sporadically take the best students aside to give them words of encouragement and make lofty promises in the hope that they will actually take me up on it. One finally took me up on it. This specific student, Kemelo, is a double orphan who lives with his grandparents in a VERY small, secluded village about an hour and a half away. Days when he is not in school, he has to take the cattle to graze. This leaves early mornings to meet. So, for 3 our 4 weeks over winter break I will be hiking in the morning cold to Saballa, which is about a 50 minutes hard walk, to meet Kemelo and have some private English tutoring. I find tutoring to be an order of magnitude more fulfilling than teaching students who are not interested, so I’m extremely excited about this development.

Um, I guess that’s about it for now. If you have any questions about life here, or day to day, or what-have-you, feel free to leave me a message. I’ll get back to you ASAP, which might be a few weeks.

7 comments:

rhyoungren said...

ok, what is keyhole about it? the good stuff is in the middle surrounded by rocks? you grow cabbage? anything else? and i'm thinking i'm glad your mom bought a new umbrella for the deck. it's very large and works bueno for shade. she also got a heavy gismo to shove the end in so it doesn't move. hard to think about cold as i washed windows this morning. i find i adapt quickly to vacation time these years. forgive and forget, that's my motto. new year coming, but into summering. grandpa comes next week. mom is headed to dc with the military for a week. life just keeps moving. Confederation cup? alrighty then.

Maggie said...

i got your letter today and a new blog - i am a lucky lady.

the internet has been working about an hour per day here, so i'm thankful i got to read through your post. do you have a 7 week break!? normally, awesome - but i hope you find things to keep yourself busy, and i'll try to send some things to help with that soon - so you get it at the end of your break :)

i'm so happy about komelo. and mildly jealous of your morning hike...breathe the air and live it. it just takes one - hopefully the tutoring goes well. keep extending the lofty promises. you're there for them, and you're there for you - do what you like doing if you can.

Janet gave me some PCV words of wisdom from her best friend who just got back from her PC years in Burkina Faso - she thinks the sooner a volunteer realizes that they are there for their own personal growth just as much if not more than they are there for "making a difference" around them, the happier they will be. i don't know if that's true or not, it was just a third hand piece of PCV experience.

let me know if/when you get the package i sent - i'm trying to remain optimistic while i compile a new one to send ASAP - complete with music. cds work best, right?

keyhole garden looks AWESOME. i can talk to some people here about cold climate gardening if you want, as the growing season here is a whopping 2 or 3 months. we're sadly not allowed to grow anything edible here because of bears, but i have friends in town that have way greener thumbs. it has been feeling very pacific northwesty here the past 3 weeks, with rain continuously throughout the day, with a lovely 3 hours of sun wherein i try to time my bike commute and hiking and such.

Maggie said...

forgot to say that i love you, and miss you. 'cause i do. lots.

Michael said...

Phil,

We miss you and love you a lot. I hate to say this but sorry for being a dubag friend(i know its becoming a recuring theme but I am sorry). It sounds like things are going good over there minus the weather. We are all settled in to our new lives here in the palm springs of washington, yakima. Jobs are going strong and we are doing well. We miss you alot, and cannot wait until you get home bro! Love peace and chicken grease!


The Hinkle's (transcribed by the Original one)

Maggie said...

i think skype is on crazy pills, because despite our short but sweet conversation yesterday, today it says that your lesotho number doesn't exist. your SA number has a lovely robot woman answering, and though i know you can't call me back, i left my phone number anyway. ok. i hope the game was a) non-violent and b) riveting. i'm heading to yellowstone to train the interns on frontcountry camping and geology and stuff. should be fun, and if it isn't fun, hey, i should shut my mouth and thank God that i get to be in yellowstone. done and done. i love you and miss you and am sending you another pkg. soon.

Candice said...

Leave it to the US to beat Spain, eh? Just when we thought all was...lame. Hey, I read Maggie's advice about doing it for thine own growth, and everything else is gravy. Sounds like a mission trip, to be honest. Offering service isn't always welcome, even if it's needed. Ahem.
So I was thinking about you the other day, cause Lucy is seeming to be a smidge more sassy every day. It's mildly terrifying.

love you, hoser.

cyk

anna said...

i very much look forward to hearing (reading?) how things progress with kemelo's tutoring! please record his first self-inspired sentence in english; i can imagine it being a memorable one.

go phil!